Find out more about Farnborough and Drain Doctor

About Farnborough

The town has long been associated with the aviation work since Samuel Franklin Cody’s bi-plane made the first recognised powered and sustained flight in the United Kingdom on 16 October 1908.  However Farnborough roots go back much further than that as it was found in Saxon times and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The current name of Farnborough is formed from Ferneberga which means "fern hill”.

 Farnborough Crest

There are several statues around the town celebrating the achievements of the industry of Farnborough.  A statue commemorating Colonel Sam Cody, as he was known, is sited outside the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust whilst a replica Gloster E.28/39 is sited on a roundabout along Ively Road in tribute to its inventor Sir Frank Whittle. Meanwhile Farnborough's historic wind tunnels are now listed buildings.The retail centre at the hub of Farnborough is undergoing great change and we are proud to support The Meads shopping and office centre.